Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Confessions of a Fallen Star

Stephen Collins is come clean (to the public).

In a statement – released to People magazine, natch – the 7th Heaven pastor-patriarch has gone ahead and confessed to doing, “something terribly wrong that I deeply regret.

The actor, 67, is, of course, referring to the allegations of child molestation that have plagued him the last couple of months (following the release of one his therapy sessions, which was secretly recorded by his now-ex-wife, actress Faye Grant), which is why he has admitted to victimizing three women from 1973 to 1994.

He also wrote that he apologized to one of the women many years after the incidents, which he insists have been blown out of proportion in the media. Meaning that they were not quite what some have presumed or been led to infer.

Collins will elaborate further during an interview with Katie Couric that will stream on Yahoo! and air this Friday on ABC’s 20/20.

Photo: People.com.

Update: Collins told Couric during an interview on Dec. 19 for Yahoo! Global News, that he himself may have been/was the victim of sexual molestation when he was a boy.

“I did have someone in my life when I was between the ages of 10 and 15, an older woman, who repeatedly exposed herself to me,” the actor said. “That distorted my perception in such a way that some part of me felt – I never felt like I was molested.

In his mind, Collins said that he thought that that behavior wasn’t so bad because it allegedly was an act performed by someone that he trusted.

The cynics out there will say that Stephen Collins is a sexual predator trying to excuse his acts, but, perhaps, we should give him the benefit of the doubt?

No comments: